You are Trying to View a Free ArticleDaily News You Can't Find Anywhere Else
Pilbara, Australia, LNG and Iron Ore Ports Shut in Anticipation of Major Storms, an Industrial Info Market Brief
Industry Segment: Metals & Minerals | Word Count: 82 Words
The Pilbara region of Western Australia is bracing for Cyclone Veronica, a Category 4 storm that will hit this weekend. Tankers have been moved out, and the major iron ore and liquefied natural gas (LNG) ports at Hedland and Dampier were closed. It is estimated that a five-day shutdown would impact 10 million tons of iron ore shipments predominantly bound for Asia. Australia is responsible for about 55% of the seaborne iron ore trade. There are 28 iron ore mines in addition to 106 other operational mines in Western Australia, according to Industrial Info's Global Market Intelligence Platform. A separate storm, Cyclone Trevor, was bearing down on the Northern Territory, closing ports at Weipa, Gove and Groote Eylandt.
Subscribe Now! All Fields Required...
- May North American Project Spending Index Up 19.5% Year-On-Year, Constructi...
- U.S. Steel Manufacturers Forge $1.5 Billion in Third-Quarter Project Kickof...
- NavigatIIR: Rare Earth: Not Just a Funk Rock Band from the '70s
- Vanadium Demand Sparks Wave of Australian Activity, an Industrial Info Mark...
- Chile's Chuquicamata Mine Hit by Strike, an Industrial Info Market Brief
- Current Economic Indicators
- Free Daily Industrial Articles
- Monthly Industrial Newsletter
- IIR's Disaster Impact Tracker